Full-time through August 2020
Pay: total living stipend of $13,732 (distributed biweekly) + $6,095 education award
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, and Wyoming, MI area
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is seeking dedicated individuals to help parents in area schools learn English and develop strategies to support their children’s literacy. The ideal candidates for this full-time teaching position will have an interest in teaching and community engagement. The training and coaching provided will equip you to implement highly effective English language classes.
Ideal applicants will have:
- A desire to make change in your community through empowering parents’ literacy skills
- Excellent control of the English language and ability to think analytically about language
- Experience teaching English Language Learners (ELL) desired, but not required
- Interest in family and children’s literacy issues
- Strong relationship-building skills to develop partnerships with school staff and other agencies
- The ability to meet weekly and monthly deadlines
- The ability to collaborate with coworkers in a close environment, yet able to display independent decision-making
- College degree, some coursework in education, English as a Second Language (ESL), or Linguistics highly preferred
- Experience learning a second language, Spanish skills preferred
- A driver's license or reliable personal transportation
- Schedule flexibility for required day and evening responsibilities
- College degree, some coursework in education, English as a Second Language (ESL), or Linguistics highly preferred.
As an Instructor and FAN Coordinator, you will:
- Teach 1 adult ELL class to parents in Grand Rapids Public Schools, Godfrey Lee Public Schools, and Godwin Heights Public Schools
- Develop contextualized lesson plans and activities that address learner goals and needs based on the pre-determined curriculum.
- Attend school events to promote the program and recruit potential learners.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date attendance and testing records.
- Be a supportive presence in school a few hours a week.
- Prepare individualized lesson plans and tutor 1 learner one-on-one, weekly.
- Work closely with Family Literacy Program instructors to plan Family Activity Nights (weekday evenings), attendance at all Family Activity Nights is required.
- Communicate and coordinate between volunteers, stakeholders, and instructors regarding Family Activity Nights.
- Ensure that volunteers have an outstanding experience while volunteering with the program.
- Order and inventory Family Activity Night supplies and food.
- Develop strategies to recruit volunteers needed for effective program activities
- Compile and analyze volunteer-related data and identify and implement improvements.
- Attend AmeriCorps and Family Literacy Program team meetings at the Literacy Center of West Michigan.
- Participate in periodic AmeriCorps events to promote civic engagement
AmeriCorps Requirements and Benefits
- An Education Award of $6,095 to repay qualified student loans or to pay for tuition will be available at the end of service period to members who fulfil service-hour requirements
- Health insurance, childcare benefits, and loan forbearance and interest repayment provided for those who qualify
- Must pass local, state, and national FBI background and sex offender registry check
- Must be U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the United States
- Full-time (35-40 hours per week) with little time off during required service period
- Day and evening hours necessary, with some weekend hours required
For More Information
For more information about AmeriCorps, please visit http://www.americorps.gov/
For more information about the Family Literacy Program, please visit https://literacycenterwm.org/learn#family-literacy.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter specific to the position to Diedre Deering (email@example.com).
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.