AmeriCorps English Language/Family Literacy Instructor
Full-time for 12 months (Start date of August 19, 2019)
Pay: total living stipend of $13,732 (distributed biweekly)
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, and Wyoming, MI area
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is seeking highly-effective instructors to help parents in area schools learn English and develop strategies to support their children’s literacy. The ideal candidates for this full-time teaching position will be detailed-oriented, knowledgeable of effective teaching strategies, and autonomous. This position requires the selected candidates to be screened and approved through the national AmeriCorps program.
- College degree, some coursework in education, English as a Second Language (ESL), or Linguistics highly preferred.
- Preference given to candidates who are bilingual in Spanish.
- Excellent control of the English language and ability to think analytically about language.
- Experience teaching English Language Learners (ELL).
- Interest in family and children’s literacy issues.
- Strong relationship-building skills to develop partnerships with school staff and other agencies.
- Ability to meet weekly and monthly deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate with coworkers in a close environment, yet able to display independent decision-making.
- Demonstrated ability to use technology for word processing, email and calendaring.
- Must have a valid driver’s license or reliable personal transportation.
- Schedule flexibility for required day and evening responsibilities.
Areas of Responsibility
English Language (ELL) Instruction
- Teach adult ELL classes to parents in Grand Rapids Public Schools, Godfrey Lee Public Schools, and Godwin Heights Public Schools on-site at the schools.
- Develop contextualized lesson plans and activities that address learner goals and needs based on pre-determined curriculum.
- Execute components of the Family Literacy model, including weekly parenting discussions.
- Attend school events to promote the program and recruit potential learners.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date attendance and testing records.
- Submit required data and reports by specified deadlines.
- Be a supportive presence in the school a few hours each week.
- Prepare individualized lesson plans and tutor 1 learner one-on-one weekly.
- Collaboratively plan, coordinate, and execute monthly literacy events for the learners and their children.
- Work closely with school staff to build relationships and promote program including attending Community School Leadership Team meetings.
- Attend AmeriCorps and Family Literacy Program team meetings at the Literacy Center of West Michigan.
- Publicize the Literacy Center of West Michigan in the community.
- Participate in periodic AmeriCorps events to promote civic engagement.
- Collaboratively plan service project events for National Days of Service.
AmeriCorps Requirements and Benefits
- Must pass local, state, and national FBI background and sex offender registry check.
- Must be U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the United States.
- Full-time (35-40 hours per week) with little time off during required service period.
- Day and evening hours necessary, with some weekend hours required.
- An Education Award of $6,095 will be available at the end of service period to members who fulfill service-hour requirements.
- Basic health insurance, childcare benefits, and loan forbearance may be provided for those who qualify.
For More Information
For more information about AmeriCorps, please visit: http://www.americorps.gov/
For more information about the Family Literacy Program, please visit https://literacycenterwm.org/learn#family-literacy.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter specific to the position to Diedre Deering (email@example.com).
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports National Career Readiness Certification.