Location: Greater Grand Rapids area
The Adult Tutoring Program (ATP) at the Literacy Center of West Michigan is seeking a highly-competent Family Literacy Coordinator to manage a caseload of adult literacy and ESL students, to coordinate our early childhood, family literacy partnerships, and to lead related activities and events.
- BA in Education, Literacy or related field
- ESL certificate (e.g. CELTA, TESOL) preferred
- At least two years of experience working in the field of ESL. Experience working at Head Start/early childhood programs appreciated.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Cultural sensitivity and social awareness
- Able to work comfortably and quickly with a computer (particularly Word and Excel)
- Schedule flexibility
- Own transportation
- Able to work collaboratively
- Excellent communication skills
- Spanish conversational skills highly preferred
The Family Literacy Coordinator enrolls and manages a caseload of adult literacy and ESL students with family literacy goals. S/he supports and supervises tutor/student pairs, and provides recommendations for retention and learning. The Family Literacy Coordinator assists with program development and improvement, leads training, and organizes monthly family learning events.
Areas of Responsibility
Adult Literacy Students
- Administer assessment, monitor progress, and provide general support
- Manage databases and systems for learner and learning process tracking
- Plan and oversee learner activities
- Select textbooks and curricula for tutors
- Develop teaching activities and materials addressing learner goals and needs
- Assist Program Director with year-end data collection
- Develop and lead recruitment and retention strategies to meet annual goals
- Assist with volunteer tutor recruitment and retention
- Provide volunteer orientations
- Lead one session of tutor training
- Supervise volunteer tutors and provide the necessary support
- Timely compile all volunteer related data
- Develop and facilitate tutor workshops based on the needs of tutors
- Oversight of Family Literacy Program
- Compile and submit data for reporting
- Attend recruitment events and organize onboarding of new students
- Teach Family Literacy Workshops
- Organize and lead monthly family events
- Collaboration with Head Start staff
- Support efforts to bring about a just and vibrant West Michigan through the power of literacy
- Tutor one adult learner
- Support office culture and values and exhibit cultural competency
- Other duties as assigned
To apply, please send one cover letter and your resume – including two references with contact information – to Diedre Deering (email@example.com). This position will remain open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports National Career Readiness Certification.