Location: Greater Grand Rapids area
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is seeking a new Literacy Coordinator for its Adult Tutoring Program. The Literacy Coordinator must have excellent organizational and time-management skills to manage a caseload of adult literacy learners (native and non-native speakers of English), and collect and report data. Candidates should have outstanding communicational skills and take a leadership role in tutor recruitment, support and engagement. Coordinators teach tutor training and recommend curricula to pairs, for which reading/ESL instruction experience is also preferred.
- Undergraduate degree in Nonprofit Management, Education, Reading, or related field
- Graduate degree appreciated, but not required
- Two years of experience instructing adults in the fields of Adult Basic Education/ESL and/or GED preparation
- Two years of experience working at community-based agencies and/or with at-risk populations
- Recruitment experience
- Spanish or another second language strongly appreciated.
- Excellent communication, organizational and time-management skills
- Cultural sensitivity and social awareness
- Detail-oriented and able to work comfortably and quickly with a computer (particularly Word and Excel)
- Schedule flexibility
- Able to work collaboratively
Manage a caseload of adult literacy learners (both native and non-native speakers of English) by matching tutors and learners, advising and providing instructional support to tutors, assessing learners, and collecting and reporting data. Take a leadership role in coordinating efforts for tutor recruitment and engagement. Lead and assist tutor/learner orientations, teach tutor training and recommend curricula to pairs. Assist with program/organization activities and events, and contribute to program development and improvement.
Areas of Responsibility
Adult Literacy Students
- Administer learner assessment, match with tutors, and monitor progress
- Manage databases and systems for learner tracking
- Assist Program Director with year-end data collection
- Lead/support learner orientations
- Oversee and plan learner activities
- Select textbooks and curriculum for learners
- Develop teaching materials addressing learners' goals and needs
- Coordinate activities for tutor recruitment and engagement
- Lead volunteer orientations
- Facilitate one session of tutor training
- Supervise volunteer tutors and provide necessary support
- Timely compile all volunteer related data
- Develop and facilitate tutor workshops based on needs of tutors/learners
- Support office culture and values that contribute toward a collaborative, inclusive workplace
- Tutor one learner in support of the Literacy Center's mission to bring about a just and vibrant West Michigan through the power of literacy
- Perform other duties as assigned
To apply, please send one cover letter and your resume – including two references with contact information – to Diedre Deering (email@example.com). This position will remain open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports National Career Readiness Certification.