Location: Greater Grand Rapids area
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is seeking a pool of English Language Instructors for its Family Literacy Program. The position seeks to improve the ability of English Language Learners to communicate in English with their child’s school, in their community, and in their lives (speaking, listening, reading, and writing the English language in the context of their lives).
- MA in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) or Teaching certificate with ESL endorsement
- Experience in group facilitation in person and virtually, as well as experience administering language tests and lesson development
- Experience working with adults as well as two or more years ESL teaching experience (preferably experience with low literacy learners)
- Teach speaking, listening, reading and writing skills utilizing the context of the child’s school and family needs
- Facilitate group learning and administer and score tests
- Structure learning to the English proficiency level and instruct others in an effective manner
- Develop engaging lesson plans
- An ability to relate to learners in a warm caring manner
- Familiarity with Google Drive, and other tech-based educational programs and/or virtual platforms
Areas of Responsibility
- Test participants for level assessment and learning gains, keeping progress records of participants as needed
- Proctor in-person or remote e-test CASAS, as needed
- Instruct groups of English language learners at the school site or online
- Select appropriate materials and develop lesson plans for use in family life and for improving communication with school
- Work with FAN Coordinator to implement multi-generational monthly Family Activity Nights
- Utilize technology to engage learners in distance-learning, as needed
- Write summaries and final reports, as needed
- Plan lessons
- Assist in curriculum development, as assigned
- Support efforts to bring about a just and vibrant West Michigan through the power of literacy
- Perform other duties as assigned
$16.79 to $22.71/hr
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Diedre Deering (email@example.com). This position will remain open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
This is a candidate pool. Class times (both morning and evening) will vary on an as-needed basis.
We are anticipating that training will begin in August and classes will begin in late September to early October.
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports National Career Readiness Certification.