Location: Greater Grand Rapids area
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is seeking English Language Instructors for a variety of programs. The Literacy Center is in a season of growth, and new instructors would be joining a dynamic and innovative team. The position seeks to improve the ability of adult English Language Learners to communicate in English in their community and in their lives (speaking, listening, reading, and writing the English language in the context of their lives). Online and in-person classes serve adult learners with general ELL instruction as well as learning contextualized towards their workplace, vocational training, their child’s school, and citizenship classes. Class loads range from one to four classes in daytime and evenings and are at varying locations throughout West Michigan.
- Formal training in TESOL or TEFL, whether certificate, Bachelor’s, or Master's degree OR related degree (Education, English) combined with more than 2 years' experience teaching English Language Learners.
- An ability to relate to learners in a warm caring manner
- MA in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) or Teaching certificate with ESL endorsement.
- ELL teaching experience with low literacy learners
- Experience in group facilitation in person and/or virtually, as well as experience in lesson development
- Experience working with adult learners
- Experience administering language tests
- Familiarity with Google Drive, Microsoft Office suite, and other tech-based educational programs and/or virtual platforms (e.g. Burlington English)
Areas of Responsibility
- Instruct groups of English language learners at the Literacy Center, at various off-site locations in the community (schools, businesses, community partners), or online
- Teach speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills utilizing the context of the learners’ program as well as learners’ goals and needs
- Plan and develop engaging lessons and assist in curriculum development, as assigned, to structure learning to the English proficiency level of the learners and instruct them in an effective manner
- Select appropriate materials and develop lesson plans for use in everyday life and for improving communication with neighbors, co-workers, and community members.
- Assess learning gains, keeping progress records of participants as needed.
- Assist in proctoring in-person or remote CASAS e-test, as needed
- Utilize technology to engage learners in distance-learning, as needed
- Write summaries and final reports, as needed
- Support efforts to bring about a just and vibrant West Michigan through the power of literacy
- Perform other duties as assigned
$20 to $25/hr for instructional and prep time
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Diedre Deering (firstname.lastname@example.org). This position is continually open. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Class times (both daytime and evening) will vary on an as-needed basis.
Classes run throughout the year and new classes start on a regular basis. Applications are continuously accepted as openings occur regularly.
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.