Location: Holland/Zeeland area
Workplace ESL Instructors facilitate adult ESL instruction within a workplace setting. Instructors are expected to teach speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills within the context of the workplace. Instructors are expected to structure learning to the English proficiency level, instruct in an effective manner, develop company-specific lesson plans in coordination with Customized Workplace English (CWE) staff, build a rapport with stakeholders, and assist in classroom reporting.
The CWE Workplace ESL instructor will provide English Intermediate or Advanced instruction in person at a production company in Holland, MI. Classes will meet Tuesday and Thursday from 5pm to 7pm (15 weeks).
- Have or be working toward a Master’s in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Applied Linguistics, or an ESL certificate with extensive experience
- At least two years of experience working in the field of adult education and/or ESL
- Experience developing and implementing lesson plans including creating learning material
- Cultural sensitivity and social awareness
- Schedule flexibility
- Own transportation
- Able to work collaboratively
- Excellent communication skills
Areas of Responsibility
- Instruct groups of employees on-site
- Select appropriate materials and develop lesson plans tailored to the workplace (with assistance from CWE staff)
- Conduct informal and formal assessments on learners’ skills and growth
- Test participants for learning gains and keep progress records of participants
- Ongoing communication with employer
- Provide written summaries and reports including daily activity summaries and attendance
- Support efforts to bring about a just and vibrant West Michigan through the power of literacy
- Support office culture and values and exhibit cultural competency
- Other duties as assigned
$19 - $23 per hour (with paid prep time)
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Diedre Deering (firstname.lastname@example.org). This position will remain open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports National Career Readiness Certification.