Location: Greater Grand Rapids area
The Adult Basic Education Instructor will assist native English speakers in their education goals through group and individual instruction. This instructor will help guide learners through pre-GED preparation courses and into post-secondary education or job training.
Become a part of a supportive team that is dedicated to bringing about a just and vibrant West Michigan through the power of literacy. All classes include paid prep time and professional development time. Classes have a customized curriculum with support from a curriculum specialist and the Director of the Customized Workplace English program
- An ability to teach reading and writing skills, facilitate group and individual learning, administer and score tests, structure learning according to educational functioning level, instruct others in an effective manner, develop lesson plans, demonstrate empathy while instructing, communicate with community partners, and prepare reports on progress and outcomes.
- A Bachelor’s Degree with a teaching certificate
- A Master’s Degree in Reading, Applied Linguistics, or a related field preferred
- Cultural sensitivity and social awareness
- Able to work collaboratively
- Excellent communication skills
Areas of Responsibility
- Develop lesson plans and select appropriate materials
- Facilitate group instruction
- Test participants for learning gains
- Provide written summaries and reports including daily activity summaries and attendance
- Keep progress records and attendance of participants
- Work with CWE Director and Coordinator
- Support efforts to bring about a just and vibrant West Michigan through the power of literacy
- Support office culture and values and exhibit cultural competency
- Other duties as assigned
$19 - $24 per hour (with paid prep time)
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Diedre Deering (firstname.lastname@example.org). This position will remain open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.