Location: Greater Grand Rapids area
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is seeking a new Coordinator for its Family Literacy Program. The Coordinator will join a diverse and growing team serving the largest community-based organization providing adult literacy services in the state of Michigan. This position will help coordinate classes and programming for English language learning parents and caregivers in healthcare and school settings. Coordinators work with a caseload of classes that involves assisting learners in resource navigation to aid with learning along with collecting and maintaining data for grant reporting. Coordinators lead recruitment efforts for programming and are responsible for enrollment, certified testing, and family connection opportunities. Coordinators also contribute to program improvement and expanded impact through sharing community insights and working as a team to develop strategies.
- Newcomer and language learning community/cultural knowledge gained through lived and/or work experience.
- Bilingual (multilingual a plus) in languages prominent in Kent County (Spanish, Vietnamese, Swahili, Kinyarwanda, etc.).
- Experience as a Social Worker, Community Health Worker, Administrative Assistant, or other community and/or administrative role OR two years of experience working at community-based agencies and/or with diverse populations.
- Experience working in education and/or healthcare preferred.
- Recruitment experience and comfort in meeting new people and making new connections.
- Able to work comfortably and quickly with a computer (particularly Word and Excel) and other tech-based educational and data entry programs.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Schedule flexibility and ability to work up to two evenings per week.
- BA in Education, Literacy, Social Work, Healthcare, or related field appreciated; degrees outside the US are valued.
Areas of Responsibility
- Lead recruitment efforts for healthcare and school-based classes.
- Coordinate with Director and partner organizations to design and implement learner recruitment strategies for on-site and online classes.
- Maintain all necessary paperwork, data, attendance, and testing scores.
- Follow guidelines and timelines for data entry into appropriate databases and other reporting tools.
- Help identify and adapt program design and resources to address the needs of community partners and learners.
- Maintain leaner retention through regular contact with class caseload.
- Assist with reducing learner barriers by coordinating in-class childcare and assisting with resource navigation.
- Assist with Family Engagement Activities.
- Strategize ways to grow family connections across programming in healthcare and school settings.
- Maintain excellent and timely communications and updates with FLP Director in all areas of coordination.
- Contribute to a positive team culture through open communication, document sharing, attending events, and sharing off-site/evening workload.
- Support an inclusive office and classroom culture through cultural competency.
34,000 – 42,000
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Bryan Salinas (firstname.lastname@example.org). This position will remain open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.